Today’s post was inspired by an event that occurred this Tuesday night in Mar Mikhael, Beirut. I was calmly waiting for the valet parking to bring my car back and suddenly a woman stopped in front of me and asked me a question.
I listened hard and heard the words “Pop Eclipse”.
We all know the whisper game: a few people sit together, one whispers to the next something and so on and so forth. At the end, the last person must say what he/she heard and you’re frequently surprised to notice how different the final message is from the initial message.
Anyway, the woman didn’t say “Pop Eclipse” but “where’s Fabrik”? Fabrik is a nightclub in Beirut (there also is a Fabric nightclub in London that I had the chance to visit once). Now I understand why I heard “Pop Eclipse”: she was whispering or the sound of the street was too loud.
Is The Whisper Game Important In Songs?
A few months ago, I blogged about mishearing some lyrics. And I made a list of the songs explaining what I really heard. If you mishear some lyrics, then maybe it’s the whisper game. By the way, that game in French is called “the Arab Telephone”.
But what does playing the whisper/telephone game looks like?
- Getting Started. Players must sit in a circle or stand in a straight line. They need to be close enough that whispering is possible, but not so close that players can hear each other whisper,
- Begin the Game. The first person in the line or circle whispers a word or phrase into the ear of the person sitting or standing to their right,
- The Game Continues. Players whisper the phrase to their neighbours until it reaches the last player in line,
- The Conclusion. The last player says the word or phrase out loud so everyone can hear how much it has changed from the first whisper at the beginning of the circle or line.
Is The Whispering Responsible For Eclipses?
An eclipse is an astronomical event that occurs when an astronomical object is temporarily obscured, either by passing into the shadow of another body or by having another body pass between it and the viewer. An eclipse is the result of either an occultation (completely hidden) or a transit (partially hidden).
Maybe whispering is responsible for the discovery of exoplanets? It seems astronomer found a superb method to detect those exoplanets (planets resembling the Earth and susceptible to be hospitable). Those planets are at the right distance of their star.
The transit method it seems is the preferred one for detecting exoplanets. While the radial velocity method provides information about a planet’s mass, the photometric method can determine the planet’s radius. If a planet crosses (transits) in front of its parent star’s disk, then the observed visual brightness of the star drops by a small amount, depending on the relative sizes of the star and the planet.
You can find a list of methods for detecting exoplanets on Wikipedia. But according to Elton John and George Michael, this method of mishearing or misreading can close some doors and leave you blinded by the light.
What Are The Rules For This Phone Game?
As we can see, this game is quite interesting to understand the importance of communication and information. The rules are simple:
- The word or phrase can only be whispered once, so players must pay close attention.
- The word or phrase should never be a too familiar; you want to make sure it changes as it is whispered.
- Only one player – the first – should know what the word or phrase is. The facilitator of the game may wish to have the original phrase or word written down.
Maybe the space race needs a kind of arbitrage: 7 million years without a secondary residence really underlines our chastity, obedience and poverty as human beings. I’m not saying you should break the rules but one should understand them correctly.
Yesterday I was thinking that there cannot be several fundamental laws of the universe. There can be only one like a cosmic vibration. And I thought this law was very simple: the law of onomatopoeia. Sounds crazy but I mean what I’m writing.
What Is The Main Purpose Of The Phone Game?
The main purpose of the Telephone Game is for the amusement of the players. However, there are some additional benefits for those playing. The Telephone Game:
- helps clearly show how small misconceptions can end up making a huge difference.
- is fun for the players, generates laughs, and helps a group relax.
- can help young children or those learning English develop their active listening skills.
- serves as a springboard for discussing the importance of active listening.
- is used for classroom counseling lessons to help children understand the impact of gossip and rumors.
The space race might be about generosity and diversity. On this road, we will discover several things like quantum physics and a beautiful song. Whispering on the internet with a blog is a hell of a tester. I guess there might be a reason why we write: “”words fly away, writings remain” like the pleasure and the pain.
You can follow my blog with Bloglovin: there are tons of writers and I must say there is one blog who caught my attention called Cupcakes and Cashmere. Let the sun beat down upon our face because we’re traveler of both time and space! Featured image of the post is by Genevieve Perron-Migneron on Unsplash. There are several wonderful photo websites. Check out the members page for a list of them!